Tomorrow is this blog’s first birthday, and I’m celebrating a little early due to the impending weekend insanity of my son’s confirmation, my husband’s band gig and St. Patrick’s Day. What better way to commemorate one whole year of getting my blog on than to recognize some of the incredible folks I have met along the way?
- Gina at Does Anyone Care What I Write?
- Robbie at Fractured Family Tales
- Samantha at This Heart of Mine
- Christie at Outlaw Mama
- Stacie at Snaps and Bits
Enjoy, ladies. I respect and admire each one of you and always look forward to reading your work. I am so happy to have found you and all the other talented folks over at Yeah Write just a few months after starting this blog. I have learned so much from reading your blogs during the past year, and your feedback on my own writing has been invaluable. Thanks to all of you, and to Bee, for making this weird and wacky online universe a whole lot lovelier.
In addition to recognizing five other bloggers, I am also supposed to list 15 random facts about myself as part of receiving the One Lovely Blog Award. Here goes:
- I am a terrible driver. I mean, really god awful. The local body shop created a frequent crasher card in my honor. (That last part may be an exaggeration.)
- I am not ashamed to admit that I cry at schmaltzy Hallmark commercials. But I am a little embarrassed by the fact that my children tease me about it.
- I didn’t receive my first real kiss till I was 15. No one in my high school ever asked me out. Not a single person. The only high school boys I dated (there were two) went to other schools.
- I was the first person in my family to graduate with a bachelor’s degree. I love school and hope to go back for a master’s and doctorate someday. I’ll be the annoying old woman in the back of the class who constantly raises her hand and always turns her papers in early.
- I won the fifth grade spelling bee but lost the overall school contest on the word “guard.” The memory makes me cringe. And so does the fact that I still have to stop to think before I type it.
- I once took a personality test that revealed I am an introverted extrovert. I guess that’s why the whole blogging thing makes sense for me.
- My first trip to Europe was to Ireland in my 20s. For a freckly brunet like me who has been teased pretty much my whole life about being so pale, stepping off that plane into an ocean of people who looked like me was both eerie and comforting.
- If I could have one wish it would be to have a single memory of my mom. She died when I was 2½, and I can’t remember a thing about her.
- If I could have two wishes, I would also hope to stick around long enough to be a grandparent someday because, well, I think it would be fun.
- This is probably the most random fact of all, but I hate white gym shoes. When I started dating my husband, he not only owned a pair but also thought it was OK to wear them in public — when he wasn’t exercising. I corrected this fashion faux pas immediately.
- When I am done with someone or something, it’s forever. No second chances. No retakes. I’m basically a kind, fair person, but I’m also stubborn.
- I want to learn to ride a motorcycle. My husband, who knows what a klutz I am, thinks this is a terrible idea.
- Autumn is my favorite season. I love the fall colors, the cool temperatures and the smell of burning leaves. Halloween is my favorite holiday. Oh, and my birthday just happens to be Oct. 28.
- I was raised by a family of spiritualists. My grandfather and aunt were both psychics. (Man, why have I not blogged about this yet?)
- I was terrified to start this blog a year ago, absolutely terrified. I am super proud of myself for getting past the fear and taking a chance. It’s been a great year, and I’m looking forward to the next one. Thanks to all (nine) of you who keep coming back each week, reading and leaving your wonderfully supportive comments. I love you guys. And, yes, sappy old me is all choked up right now.